First, sign up to become a VIA Préférence member.
Get a Welcome Bonus of 500 points when you spend and travel for $250 (before taxes) or more on VIA Rail travel in the first six months following your registration.
The higher your membership level, the more you earn
Préférence, Privilège or Premier member? Earn 1, 2 or 3 points for each dollar you spend on VIA travel before taxes.
Learn more about the different membership levels
Earn points for travel
To earn points with VIA, be sure to provide your VIA Préférence membership number every time you purchase tickets.
Get up to 50% more points depending on the fare you choose. Economy fare gives you 25% more points. Economy Plus and Business Plus fares give you 50% more points.
|Fares||Escape||Economy||Economy Plus||Business||Business Plus|
The membership program is personal. Members can earn VIA Préférence points only for their own travel—members must travel to earn points. A member cannot accumulate points by booking travel for someone else. Children may become members from the age of two years and earn points on every trip they take with VIA Rail.*
*Passengers aged 2 to 11 years old (inclusively) travel at the child fare.
- Travel aboard all trains owned and operated by VIA Rail
- The Canadian portion of a trip aboard the Maple Leaf train between Toronto and New York, only if booked through VIA Rail.
- Upgrades to Business class
- Tickets purchased with a CN or CP pass
- Purchases of a travel pass
- Use of VIA Rail gift cards
- Service charges or baggage fees
- Food and beverages purchased onboard
- Souvenirs from the VIA Rail boutique
- Tickets purchased with a VIA Rail pass
- Tickets purchased with an AD75 or AD50 coupon
- The rail travel portion of a package trip
- Rail travel purchased through a tour operator or sales agent, whether or not part of a package trip
- Partial charters and group fares
- Purchase of VIA Rail gift cards
- Use of Promotional Travel Credits
- Services offered by VIA Rail's partners and intermodal services such as Amtrak, Trentway-Wagar, STM, Pacific Coach Lines, GO Transit or AMT
- Tickets purchased through Amtrak for the Maple Leaf train between Toronto and New York.
Your opinion is worth points
You can earn points with the online research community AskingCanadians, the newest VIA Préférence point accumulation partner.
Sign up and take part in surveys, and you'll be awarded points based on each survey's length, complexity, topic and question format.
Points will be deposited into your VIA Préférence account 30 to 60 days after you complete a survey. Offer only available to new AskingCanadians panellists.